PDA

View Full Version : Strikeforce results and thoughts....

no1 jobber
04-13-2009, 02:03 PM
Very entertaining show. The production was flawless, I also liked how there were NO commericals so it was like a PPV feel. The detail of analyzing the fights and even using computer diagrams like in "Sports Science" really helped show the legitimacy of the sport (something I think Strikeforce did better in this one show than UFC has done in its enitre existance). Also it was great to hear Ruallo on the mic again and Pat Militech was definitly a pleasant suprise as an analysis. As for the results...

Brett Rogers def Ron Humphrey by TKo in the second round
very entertaining fight for two very large HWs. These guys were throwing punches and moving like LWs. Both fighters really pushed each other and in the case of Humphrey's this was the frist time in his MMa career that he went into the second round. This may have costed Humphrey's as he did look a little tired in the second but also didnt help that Rogers kept kneeing him in the face. Finally after a flurry of knees, Humphrey just collapsed and the fight was over. Next up is a rumored collision between Rogers and Strikeforce Allistair OVereem for the HW title.

Cyborg Santos def Hitomi Akano by cheating...
Honestly I want to take some time to rant: MMa is a SPORT. And in sports there has to be some level of professionalism and respect to what the sport entails. That is why there are rules and people follow these rules so that the game is played on an even and fair field. When you rbeak these rules you should be punished....in theory. Now in MMa one of the rules that is implied is the rule of weight classes...not only is this established to make MMA fair its also established to make sure people arent KILLED in the ring. When a person who weights MAYBE at most 140 lbs is being hit by a person weighing almost 160lbs...a force like that could be career ending and life threatning...espicially with little MMA gloves. Thats why they dont condone it in Boxing and they SHOULDNT in MMA. Now in this fight Cybrog came in at the weigh ins at 150lbs for her CONTRACTED fight of 145lbs. It sickens me how fighters KNOW before hand what weight they are supposed to be at and DONT reach it. It sickens me even more when these fighters come in at weight MORE than 1 or 2 lbs over weight...that right there is inexcusable. Make matters worst you got Akano who weighs maybe 135...agreeing to fight the cheating Cyborg who ended up being re weighed before the fight at 158!!!!! That is just ridiculous. I know that the deal Strikeforce made with Akano must have been huge but if you watched the match I dont think its worth the beating Akano took at the hands of Cyborg...and then to blame being on her menstruation for the lack of weight cut...is just plain dumb...end of rant...sorry..the fight was just horrible to watch....

Scott Smith def Benji Radach by TKO in the third round
In easily the FOTn...Scott Smith was able to outgunn Benji Radach in a figth filled with back and forth knock downs and moments where you just thought someone was going to go down hard. To Radach's credit he told the press after the fight that he broke his hand in the first round and thats what prevented him from fighting full throttle for the remiander of the fight...but either way botyh fighters gave their all and they deserve full credit for an awesome fight.

Gilbert Melendez def Rodrigo Damm by TKO in the second round
In a pretty one sided fight Meldnez GnP Damm in the first round and then finsihed it in the second with a hook to the face. Meldnez won the "interim" LW title and will have a rematch with sparring partner and LW champion Josh Thompson at a future date

Nick Diaz def Frank Shamrock bY TKO in the second round
As much as I love Nick...i did not think eh would compeltly dominate MMA legend Frank Shamrock like he did. Not only was his stand up crisp but they were deadly as Diaz was snapping Frank's head back on so many of the strikes. The finale was a body shot that crumbled Frank in the second and the mericiless GnP that followed which caused the fight to be stopped. Diaz is now eailsy a P4P candidate but I wonder what Strikeforce will do with him now considering he has friends (Melendez and Shields) in both LW and WW who are titilsts in Strikeforce. Rumor is Striekfroce may either bring in Japanese fighters from DREAM or send Diaz back out to Japan to compete...either way its a great way to build up Diaz's resume and truly establish him as a p4p contender.

shawndoc
04-13-2009, 03:57 PM
Cyborg Santos def Hitomi Akano by cheating...
Honestly I want to take some time to rant: MMa is a SPORT. And in sports there has to be some level of professionalism and respect to what the sport entails. That is why there are rules and people follow these rules so that the game is played on an even and fair field. When you rbeak these rules you should be punished....in theory. Now in MMa one of the rules that is implied is the rule of weight classes...not only is this established to make MMA fair its also established to make sure people arent KILLED in the ring. When a person who weights MAYBE at most 140 lbs is being hit by a person weighing almost 160lbs...a force like that could be career ending and life threatning...espicially with little MMA gloves. Thats why they dont condone it in Boxing and they SHOULDNT in MMA. Now in this fight Cybrog came in at the weigh ins at 150lbs for her CONTRACTED fight of 145lbs. It sickens me how fighters KNOW before hand what weight they are supposed to be at and DONT reach it. It sickens me even more when these fighters come in at weight MORE than 1 or 2 lbs over weight...that right there is inexcusable. Make matters worst you got Akano who weighs maybe 135...agreeing to fight the cheating Cyborg who ended up being re weighed before the fight at 158!!!!! That is just ridiculous. I know that the deal Strikeforce made with Akano must have been huge but if you watched the match I dont think its worth the beating Akano took at the hands of Cyborg...and then to blame being on her menstruation for the lack of weight cut...is just plain dumb...end of rant...sorry..the fight was just horrible to watch....

Even more horrible than the fight was watching Santos celebrate afterwords as if she'd just accomplished something.